Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

why can't i ever grab the deals on the national sale? what am i doing wrong

omgthisisdumb
Explorer C

hey so I have a question for anybody on here I used to fly Southwest a lot I used to be able to grab the $59 sales up to $79 sales as a registered Southwest rewards member but the last two years I've wanted to fly I've not been able to grab those deals I live over on the west coast near Seattle and I'm meeting to get back to mountain standard Time like Denver and I can't ever get flights with those national sales from Seattle to Denver what am I doing wrong every time something goes on sale my phone dings and I try to catch that sale and it's like there hasn't been any sales or anything available from Seattle to Denver in that range lately and when I do try to reroute my flight to go somewhere else just to catch that sale deal from say like from Vegas to Denver if that were the case I can't even catch that sale deal could somebody please let me know what it is I am doing wrong I used to be able to do this all the time and I don't know if Southwest has taken that availability away or if I'm being blocked or what but it's very frustrating and I'm about ready just to say screw Southwest airlines and not fly at all anymore but I thoroughly enjoy flying with them so I really need help

4 REPLIES 4

Re: why can't i ever grab the deals on the national sale? what am i doing wrong

dfwskier
Aviator A

SW is offering $69 Seattle / Denver flights in April and May right now. 

edit add: bot much?.

omgthisisdumb
Explorer C

i can't find those at all. let alone im needing to leave in June. any help would be appreciated.. 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@omgthisisdumb wrote:

i can't find those at all. let alone im needing to leave in June. any help would be appreciated.. 

As mentioned, these sales can be hit-or-miss. For example, I too have a return flight scheduled later this summer that is currently "stuck" in the 3-figure territory despite re-checking through the last several sales.

I would still book the flight in question at the standard price to lock in the fare as Southwest doesn't charge any fees for changes. That way, if prices go up, you'll have the lower fair locked in and ready to go. But keep coming back and re-check/re-price the booking in case fares come down later or through a different sale; you'll be able to then collect the difference in fare in the form of a flight credit (or refund too if you bought Anytime or Business Select).

Through the last "as low as $49 sale", I did a price check of this flight and through that sale, I was able to shave off several bucks from this trip and get a flight credit of $29-off from the originally booked fare. Current fare paid is still way out there in 3-digit land but I can now use that credit toward a future flight.

I would book if you haven't done so yet, but keep re-checking, maybe every Tuesday (when sales typically start) and every Friday (when sales typically expire). Should the price drop, rebook and collect the credit.

Hope this helps.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@omgthisisdumb wrote:

hey so I have a question for anybody on here I used to fly Southwest a lot I used to be able to grab the $59 sales up to $79 sales as a registered Southwest rewards member but the last two years I've wanted to fly I've not been able to grab those deals I live over on the west coast near Seattle and I'm meeting to get back to mountain standard Time like Denver and I can't ever get flights with those national sales from Seattle to Denver what am I doing wrong every time something goes on sale my phone dings and I try to catch that sale and it's like there hasn't been any sales or anything available from Seattle to Denver in that range lately and when I do try to reroute my flight to go somewhere else just to catch that sale deal from say like from Vegas to Denver if that were the case I can't even catch that sale deal could somebody please let me know what it is I am doing wrong I used to be able to do this all the time and I don't know if Southwest has taken that availability away or if I'm being blocked or what but it's very frustrating and I'm about ready just to say screw Southwest airlines and not fly at all anymore but I thoroughly enjoy flying with them so I really need help

Hola!

I've had my share of flights/airport locations/days not matching up with SW sales too. But I don't let those disappointments alienate me from still using the LUV Airline.

From SoCal, I usually fly SW out of SAN because I have a better shot of locking in a sale price there. However, my "convenience" preferred airport is ONT because of ease of access, but airfares are typically much higher and many SW sales don't return a good deal but sometimes, I'll get lucky and find a deal from ONT. Thus, I normally go to SAN but on occasion, use ONT.

Some sales, I can find a deal; others are a clear miss. The last few local sales in my area applied to only Tuesday or Wednesday travel whereas prior ones also covered some weekends if booked far enough in advance. I was even not able to lock in anything from last January's WOW40 40%-off sale whereas I was able to locate many deals and book several of my 2024 winter flights during last September's WOW50 50% off sale...or during a prior "As Low as $29" Sale where my convenience airport at ONT unexpectedly posted $39 sale prices for Friday travel. Sometimes we just have to wait for the right sale. Fortunately, since SW doesn't charge change fees, I would still book the flight in question at the standard price to lock in the fare in case prices rise later, but check and re-price it in case fare come down later or through a different sale; you'll be able to then collect the difference in fare in the form of a flight credit (or refund too if you bought Anytime or Business Select).

Hope this helps!