Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Becoming a Pilot

Kriches13
Explorer C

Hello,

I’m currently a unmanned pilot for the Texas National Guard and looking into going into a manned aviation career. I wasn’t sure the best route to go about doing this though. I’ve found ATP but can’t really afford to get a loan through them. I did see that Southwest has a military Destination 225 program, but wasn’t sure if I qualify. I am in college right now, but for an unrelated field and couldn’t figure out how to get info on the cadet route.

As I’m still an Active member of Guard I can’t go too far from Texas for long periods of time, would that be a problem?

I would really love to become a commercial pilot, always have. I would love it if someone would be able to help answer some of my questions or at least point me in the direction of someone who could help me make this dream happen.

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Becoming a Pilot

adrienneb
Employee
Employee

Hi there, @Kriches13

Thank you so much for your interest in our Destination 225° Program! And thank you for your service in the National Guard! The Destination 225° Program has four pathways: Cadet, University, Military, and Employee. The right pathway for you is dependent on the experience you already have in school and within the military. 

To participate in the university pathway, you must: 
  • Be able to obtain an FAA First-Class Medical Certificate 
  • Have successfully completed your Private Pilots License check ride 
  • Be enrolled in a professional flight degree program under the school of aviation/aeronautics at a university partner, or be a current or former Southwest Airlines Campus Reach Intern  
  • Have completed your freshman year and have your Private Pilots License at the university partner 
  • Have a current and complete log book 
  • Have or be able to obtain a valid passport with the ability to travel in and out of the U.S. 
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalency  
  • Possess a valid driver’s license 
  • Be authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis without the need for company sponsorship of an employment-based visa now or in the future 
  • Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application 
  • Demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking English 
  • Maintain any physical requirements necessary to complete new and ongoing Pilot training throughout the duration of the Destination 225° program 
  • Be able to pass the prescreening requirements needed for employment at Southwest Airlines (e.g. drug testing and background check) 
  • Be able to relocate for the duration of the program and future job opportunities 
  • Demonstrate the ability to pay out-of-pocket or secure financing for costs incurred during the time in the pathway

To participate in military pathway, you must: 

• Have a current log book 
    • Be within 18 months of separation from the military (pre or post)  
    • Have actively flown for two of the last five years for the RTP pathway (preferred)
    • Possess a First-Class Medical Certificate 
    • Have or be able to obtain a valid passport with the ability to travel in and out of the U.S. 
    • Have a high school diploma or equivalency  
    • Possess a valid driver’s license 
    • Be authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis without the need for company sponsorship of an employment-based visa now or in the future 
    • Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application 
    • Demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking English 
    • Be able to pass the prescreening requirements needed for employment at Southwest Airlines (e.g. drug testing and background check) 
    • Be able to relocate for the duration of the program and future job opportunities 
    • Maintain any physical requirements necessary to complete new and ongoing Pilot training throughout the duration of the program 
    • Demonstrate the ability to pay out of pocket or secure financing for the total amount of the program 

If neither of those are aligned with your current experience, you can go with our Cadet Pathway. This takes you from little to zero experience, all the way to Southwest Airlines First Officer! 

I'm sure you've already found our D225 page, but we've got lots of really great information on it here: https://careers.southwestair.com/D225. Let me know if you think up any other questions! So happy to help! 

Kriches13
Explorer C

Thank you! Do unmanned flight hours count? Those are the only ones I have, if not I’ll probably have to go cadet. Is it a relatively affordable pathway?

adrienneb
Employee
Employee

Great questions, @Kriches13 ! 

Only time in a fixed-wing aircraft is counted - this specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO, and UAV.

Current, approximate costs for the Cadet Pathway - which are subject to change: 

Participants can reach Southwest Airlines in approximately four years while gaining competitive compensation from our flight partners, exceptional training, dedicated mentorship, quality flight time, and the skills needed to take flight as a Southwest Airlines First Officer.
  • CAE – $112,515
  • SkyWarrior – $93,000
  • US Aviation – $99,900

The Southwest Airlines Credit Union (SWACU) is available to provide financing at all locations. ​​​​​​​In addition to flight training costs, optional housing allowance and living stipend are available in the loan options.

Participants start to earn an income in the program once they've completed training and begin employment as a Flight Instructor!

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@adrienneb This is great information. Thank you. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion