Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Blow up foot rests

Soso11009
Explorer C

Hello.  I will be flying with my 3 and 4 year old and am looking into purchasing a fly kids bed box or inflatable foot rests for them. My question is would I be able to use it in the window as well as center seat?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Blow up foot rests

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Can you post a link to them?  I've never heard of them so I'd like to know more about it, that might help everyone formulate opinions too.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Soso11009 wrote:

Hello.  I will be flying with my 3 and 4 year old and am looking into purchasing a fly kids bed box or inflatable foot rests for them. My question is would I be able to use it in the window as well as center seat?

For child car seats they can only be put in the window position, or can be in the center if no one is sitting in the window - if these inflate or similarly block the access then I think it would be one per row, and placed in the furthest position. Also I can't make a citation but you aren't supposed to block the seat in front of you from reclining.

So I'd say probably window yes - if I'm understanding the concept, but not window + center.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Soso11009
Explorer C

Here are a few examples:3665B9B6-86AF-4A1A-960D-C9BB77AED9CF.png

47675D22-5539-4DDB-B987-380118941D11.png

Mochalatte116
Explorer C

Were you able to use the footrest and are the pictures shown approved by southwest? Thank you. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mochalatte116 wrote:

Were you able to use the footrest and are the pictures shown approved by southwest? Thank you. 

The FAA (not Southwest) rules state that items MUST be stored COMPLETELY under the seat in front of you. This insures the best opprtunity to evacuate the plane in the event an emergency evacuation is needed.

IMO, thus ANYTHING that blocks access to the aisle is forbidden. Clearly anything blocking floorspace in an aisle seat or middle seat is a clear violation of the rule.  The window seat is a bit more ambiguous as the only person being affected by the item is the person sitting in the window seat. - that is unless the item shifts in  an emergency landing. That being said, the item WOULD inhibit the evacuation of the person in the window seat and maybe others. Thus, IMO the item is also not appropriate in that seat position.

As a point of calrification, if I were sitting in a window seat and someone between the aisle and me used one of these things, I sure as heck would hit the flight attendant call button and ask that it be removed.

Mochalatte116
Explorer C

I was planning to use it in the window seat for my daughter and I would be in the middle seat so no other person would be affected or blocked. Wondering if anyone has used this on a southwest flight. 

Tarynicole11
Explorer C

Did you have any luck using them on the plane? I’m considering buying for my toddlers as well. Thanks!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@Mochalatte116 wrote:

The FAA (not Southwest) rules state that items MUST be stored COMPLETELY under the seat in front of you. This insures the best opprtunity to evacuate the plane in the event an emergency evacuation is needed.

IMO, thus ANYTHING that blocks access to the aisle is forbidden. Clearly anything blocking floorspace in an aisle seat or middle seat is a clear violation of the rule.  The window seat is a bit more ambiguous as the only person being affected by the item is the person sitting in the window seat. - that is unless the item shifts in  an emergency landing. That being said, the item WOULD inhibit the evacuation of the person in the window seat and maybe others. Thus, IMO the item is also not appropriate in that seat position.

As a point of calrification, if I were sitting in a window seat and someone between the aisle and me used one of these things, I sure as heck would hit the flight attendant call button and ask that it be removed.

FYI: That rule only applies during take off and arrival, or when specifically directed by a crewmember.