Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking baggage through to final destination on 2 published routes, same day

numedpick
Explorer C
I want to check baggage through to final destination on 2 published routes, same day. I emailed CS and they said OK but need 45 mins. The published layover is 40 mins in MSY. I am booked on two separate confirmations. No way I can go out thru security claim my bags recheck then make it back. Since I have the same two flights I would if I was on the published route (AUS-MSY and MSY-ATL) shouldn't they check bag through from Aus to Atl?
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Checking baggage through to final destination on 2 published routes, same day

bec102896
Aviator A

So I have done the split reservation several times and unfortunately they have never been able to check my bag to the final destination because the route doesn't exist which is why 2 one ways were purchased you would have to either carry the bag on or check the bag twice. 

If the resverstion has austin to Atlanta on it then of course they could check it but I think one main reason they can't besides the 40min is that bags get lost 

my recommendation if you choose to do a split reservation be sure to give yourself enough time to check a bag again and go through security and allow for a possible delay when I do split reservations I give myself at least 3 hours to be on the safe side. If I don't check a bag I give myself 2 hours. 

Good luck!

Happy Travels

Blake

Re: Checking baggage through to final destination on 2 published routes, same day

numedpick
Explorer C

Thanks, but in my case it is a published route. I only split it to reach 25 flights for the year to get A plus. You can actually book the ticket I have as a one way with change of planes.  So the bags should be no problem. It only has me worried due to 40 mins on the published change of planes, versus 45 mins Customer Service states they need. I would normally carry on, but it is a 6 day trip

borderrun
Explorer C

Just following up on this exchange. numedpick, were you able to check your baggage through despite the split reservation? I am doing a similar thing, making two reservations to split up a published route, and wondering if it is possible to check my bag through across both reservations without having to claim it and re-check.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I don't think they do this. One reason would be that you could cancel the second flight while your bags go on to the destination airport. It's not desirable for people to be able to do that for a number of reasons.

So given that you'll have to re-check the luggage, the issue is that you have to retrieve them at baggage claim, and then go check them at ticketing which takes some extra time. By the time all of that happens, your 40 minutes on the flight schedule is now reduced to 25-30 minutes.

When the ticket is on the published route the baggage doesn't ever come upstairs - must faster to transfer between planes without all the extra handling.

You could try late check and see what happens, but there may be a cutoff at some point where the ticket agent won't accept a checked bag since they basically know the chances are so slim. I've certainly checked in late and been fine before, but these were in the 45 minute range at MDW and maybe 30 minutes at a smaller regional airport.

Let us know what the solution was.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.