Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Coronavirus cancellation policy is unacceptable

CMcMahon
Explorer C

The way Southwest is handling the Coronavirus is unacceptable. Travel vouchers for 6 months! Yes, I was told 6 months. That’s terrible! We should get a full refund. Yes this is out of their control but having my trip canceled is out of my control too. I used to be a loyal Southwest customer but not anymore. For a company who prides themselves on customer service, this is not how to treat your customers.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Coronavirus cancellation policy is unacceptable

SWDigits
Aviator A

Most of us in the forums are customers so you may want to get in touch directly with Southwest to provide feedback.  The "Contact Us" link has options, twitter or the online email form are probably your best bests.

Customer | Home airport DCA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Travel funds are (and have always been) valid for one year after the original purchase date.  It appears you purchased your tickets 6 months ago so yes, you have 6 months remaining to use the travel funds.  This policy has been adopted by most other airlines out there so Southwest's standard policy is as good or better than other domestic airlines' emergency policy.

Just as an example, here is the policy from United (emphasis added by me):

"If the customer decides to cancel their flight, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date."

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Travel vouchers (really called travel funds) are good for one year from the date that the ticket that produced the travel funds was purchased. They have always been that way. 

Anyone that told you 6 months is wrong -- however if the travel fund is a result of a ticket being purchased 6 months ago then it would have 6 months left. Travel must be completed by the expiration date of the travel fund.

At this point NO AIRLINE is refunding non-refundable tickets. Likewise NO AIRLINE has changed their respective policies on travel fund expiration dates.

Keep watching in case that changes.

Dallas_FD26
Explorer C

I COMPLETLEY AGREE.

momdukes62
Explorer C

The fact that most customers are attempting to change their reservations and/or cancel is because the president declared a state of emergency which subsequently changed or canceled their travel plans. 

Southwest should refund moneys to passengers that can prove that a cruise has been canceled due to the president.  

Shaniem
Explorer B

Yes and they are only allowing a % of travel funds to be used at  one time. sooo wrong ripping people off!! stealing our money!!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Shaniem wrote:

Yes and they are only allowing a % of travel funds to be used at  one time. sooo wrong ripping people off!! stealing our money!!

Not true. As long as travel is scheduled to be completed before the funds expire and the passenger name(s) is the same as the original reservation you can use 100% of the travel fund. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Shaniem
Explorer B

Thank you.. just confirmed southwest air and southwest vacation are not on same page. telling customers different things.. you are correct!! Thank God!!

samadams
Explorer B

I have had a similar experience to others on this site. I booked a flight in September and used travel funds that expire in April. The funds used totalled $266 for two people. I paid an extra $340 for the flights on top of the travel funds plus $100 in early bird fees. Total funds ~$700. The event I was traveling to was cancelled due to local restrictions. When I called SWA to cancel, they informed me that the $100 in early bird fees are completely gone. Then, the not only do the original $266 in travel funds expire, but the NEW funds of $340 I paid in September when I booked the flight will also expire in April! So, I am out $700+. Lucky me though, if I call back the day after the funds expire, I can pay $100 per person to have the funds extended SIX months. So I get ~$400 of my $700 that I have to use within 6 months. Who is to say this will be over then? SWA just lost a loyal customer.