Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Damaged Stroller

dfwskier
Aviator A

@benjambb wrote:

The Federal Government says that airlines are responsible for damaged luggage up to $3500 per flight.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/baggage

Southwest is not adhering to federal law by denying customers damage reports to their strollers.

I will be contacting the DOT here:

Contact Us

Office of Aviation Consumer Protection

1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
Washington, DC 20590
United States

Phone: (202) 366-2220
Business Hours:
8:30am-5:00pm ET, M-F

In the interest of clarity, I’ll point out that not all checked baggage items qualify. Certain items do not. SW agrees to transport the items, but does not accept responsibility for them due to increased risk associated with them. The airline advises the passenger of this fact, and provides a waiver which the customer must sign before the airline accepts the checked item.

details are included in the airline’s contract of carriage:

Unsuitable Baggage Subject to Limited Release of Liability
Carrier may, at its sole discretion, but is not obligated to, accept Baggage unsuitable for Carriage as Checked Baggage, subject to a Limited Release of Liability, as provided below:
(1) Voluntary Separation for which Carrier is not liable for delay;

(2) Fragile and unsuitably packed items for which Carrier is not liable for damage and loss of contents;
(3) Previously damaged items for which Carrier is not liable for damage and loss of contents;
(4) Inadequately packaged or over-packed items for which Carrier is not liable for damage and loss of contents;
(5) Perishable items for which Carrier is not liable for spoilage, damage, or delay;
(6) Soft-sided cases or unprotected/unpacked items, for which Carrier is not liable for damaged  and loss of contents;
(7) High-Value Items described in paragraph (i) of this Section, for which Carrier assumes no responsibility for loss, damage, or delay;
(8) Late-tendered Baggage for which Carrier is not liable for delay; and
(9) Items where specific requirements under this Section are not met, for which Carrier is not liable for loss, damage, or delay.”

The question is whether or not the passenger who started this thread signed a waiver.