Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

International baggage question

Nsrawlings
Explorer C

We have a trip planned from bwi-PUJ with a layover in FLL. Then return with the same itinerary, just reversed. 

We will be checking baggage. Do we need to retrieve luggage at FLL and recheck it?  I’ve seen both answers and am officially confused. Last international flight I took with another airline, our layover we were told to get our luggage at the domestic layover, waited at the carousel and was told that it’s already on the next plane and wasted over an hour. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: International baggage question

dfwskier
Aviator A

On your outbound flight you will have your bags checked to the final destination. On the return flight , US Customs regs require you to retrieve your bags, and recheck them. I'm not familiar with how that's done in Fll, but at most airports you dothat within the area where you pick up your bags. I presume that is how it;s done at FLL.

Re: International baggage question

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@dfwskier wrote:

On your outbound flight you will have your bags checked to the final destination. On the return flight , US Customs regs require you to retrieve your bags, and recheck them. I'm not familiar with how that's done in Fll, but at most airports you dothat within the area where you pick up your bags. I presume that is how it;s done at FLL.

My only time through FLL international was from Nassau, and they do pre-clearance there so I never got to see the customs area at FLL.

PUJ I don't think has preclearance yet but it has been discussed, so OP should get to claim, go through customs, and re-check at FLL's customs area on the way home to BWI.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.