Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is a DJ Controller considered a Musical Instrument? Can I buy an extra seat for it?

whelanicole
Explorer C

We are moving and my husband has a Pioneer XDJ-XZ Controller for DJeing. This is a very fragile device and the only way we would take it from MIA to LV is to buy the extra seat and take it with us on the plane. Checking it in is not an option. Sizing: 36W x 19D x 5.25H - 36lbs with his lightweight Hard-Shell Case/Bag. I called and on the phone, they weren't able to confirm if it is considered a "musical instrument" or not to be able to buy the extra seat for it. I need confirmation. Has someone had a similar experience or can you help me out? Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Is a DJ Controller considered a Musical Instrument? Can I buy an extra seat for it?

floridaguy
Aviator C

You'll never get it through TSA.  Ship the item.

Re: Is a DJ Controller considered a Musical Instrument? Can I buy an extra seat for it?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@whelanicole wrote:

We are moving and my husband has a Pioneer XDJ-XZ Controller for DJeing. This is a very fragile device and the only way we would take it from MIA to LV is to buy the extra seat and take it with us on the plane. Checking it in is not an option. Sizing: 36W x 19D x 5.25H - 36lbs with his lightweight Hard-Shell Case/Bag. I called and on the phone, they weren't able to confirm if it is considered a "musical instrument" or not to be able to buy the extra seat for it. I need confirmation. Has someone had a similar experience or can you help me out? Thank you!

Hello!

Here is the official Southwest policy on purchasing an extra seat for an instrument.
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/Purchasing-a-seat-for-an-instrument

One can argue that this controller can fit the definition of a musical instrument. Amazon categorizes this as such but Southwest makes the call. Since this forum is customer-to-customer, email is likely the best option to inquire at this point if your flight is more than ten days out. I would inquire by email and include a link to the product with the size specs so the airline can review this and make a decision in writing. If they authorize, I would bring their response with you to the airport and show it to the gate agent.

Go here:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Click on "Baggage", "Policies/Procedures" and fill out the form.

If your flight is sooner than ten days or if Southwest says 'no' in the email response, I would have this system shipped separately (and insured).

In regards to getting the device through TSA, it appears that it should fit through their X-ray machine. Whenever I travel with "unusual" items (e.g. I had to transport some restaurant salsa cup holders on one trip), I'll take this out of the luggage and place it directly in the tray in case they want to review it. Might be worth it to verify with them beforehand of what the screening process would entail as this product is not defined on their "What Can I Bring" list. 

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

Safe travels!