Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New to traveling

PartyOf2
Explorer C

May be a silly question but this is my first trip with my 8 year old and our first plane ride.

• Aside from our individual carry on bags that fit overhead she AND I are allowed a personal carry on item a piece correct? So I can bring purse with her snacks and she can have her stuffed lovey?
• I am only allowed 9 total 3.4 oz bottles of whatever correct? (Shampoo, conditioner, curly hair products, makeup, etc) 

Any other tips are greatly appreciated! 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: New to traveling

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

You are starting your trip on the right foot by choosing Southwest Airlines 😀!

You are correct.  You may each take one carry-on bag that fits in the overhead storage.  In addition, you are each allowed one personal item that will completely fit under the seat in front of you.  That personal item can be a purse, a small tote or backpack, or your daughter's stuffed animal.  I usually bring a tote and place my small purse and other small items (snacks, electronics, etc.) in that.

For your liquids/aerosols/gels/creams/pastes, you can stuff as many as you can in a quart-sized zipper-type plastic bag.  I would be impressed if you could fit nine!!  The "liquids" are limited to 3.4 ounces or less.  You may each have one quart bag...so it may be a good idea to have your daughter place her stuffed lovey in her own backpack (with its head sticking out...adorable) and also carry the second quart bag.

Remember, both quart bags will need to come out when you go through TSA security, so have them on top/readily accessible.

Let the flight attendant know it's your daughter's first flight.  The flight crew **might** invite her up to look through the door at the flight deck.  I saw them take a little boy up to see it last week.  He was so excited.

Have a safe and fun trip!

Dudnikk
Explorer C
Not a silly question at all, it's great that you're planning ahead for your trip. Yes, you and your daughter are typically allowed a personal carry-on item each, like a purse and her stuffed lovey. As for liquids, you're correct about the 3.4 oz limit per bottle. I remember my first trip with my little one, and packing snacks and comfort items like her favorite toy made all the difference. And speaking of top experiences, creating memories with your child during this trip will definitely be at the top of your list.

Dudnikk
Explorer C

Not a silly question at all, it's great that you're planning ahead for your trip. Yes, you and your daughter are typically allowed a personal carry-on item each, like a purse and her stuffed lovey. As for liquids, you're correct about the 3.4 oz limit per bottle. I remember my first trip with my little one, and packing snacks and comfort items like her favorite toy made all the difference. And speaking of top experiences, creating memories with your child during this trip will definitely be at the top of your list.