Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Photography gear for a move

melanielaw92
Explorer C

Hi!

I am moving in March, flying from DCA to Midway (Chicago). I have a round photo backdrop 5' x 6.5' and wanted to know if I could check it. It is too big for carry-on, and it has a plastic protective pouch/sleeve it stays in, but it shouldn't be bent or punctured. Can I check this item? I also have a large 18'' ring light that has a cushioned protective bag. Can I check both of these items as one checked item or will it have to be considered separate? I saw ski gear can be checked as one checked item so I am hoping it's the same for this. I also have a metal projector stand and a metal tripod for the ring light that can fold down and go into an actual checked suitcase. Would this be ok?  Thank you for any help.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Photography gear for a move

dfwskier
Aviator A

You can check the photo backdrop, but you might have to pay to do it. The rule is that "free" checked items should not exceed 62 inches h+l+w. Yours comes in at 65. You might get lucky, but don;t count on it. If it's in a flexible pouch, i WOULD NOT count on it not being bent. I'd go with some kind of rigid case. If you send it the way you described, SW will probsbly make you sign a wiaver tht absolves the airline from any damage the item may incur.

Re: the ring light: see what I said above obout putting it in some kind of box.

They really can't be combined as one item, at least IMO.