Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Policy change for Southwest Schedule changes

bec102896
Aviator A

So last night I got several schedule change emails but I noticed something different this time on the app. I can change my flight for free 2 times 

you used to only get 1 free change is this new?? Anyone else notice this? 

5558BAA2-0AD7-4C25-AD96-C3693BE133B9.jpeg

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Policy change for Southwest Schedule changes

cyberroo
Explorer A

I have an unsubstantiated theory that it varies with either the extent of the change or the fare you paid for the original ticket - sometimes I get one change, sometimes two and sometimes three.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yes, happened to me too.  The flight that I was planning in January no longer exists so I was switched to an earlier flight.  I can make the change two times (without an additional cost).  That's what is meant by "two times".

You can actually change it over and over and over again right up to 10 minutes before the flight.  However, as has always been the case, you get the difference in price when you make the change, positive or negative.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I have t admit that I have not seen this before --  although it's probbly been a year since  sent SW sent me a flight change otice.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@bec102896 wrote:

So last night I got several schedule change emails but I noticed something different this time on the app. I can change my flight for free 2 times 

you used to only get 1 free change is this new?? Anyone else notice this? 

SW Change Flight.png

Yes. I was also notified that two of my WOW50 bookings posted a schedule change, one of which was a mere five extra minutes of travel time for the departure leg. When I reviewed, the schedule change did "unlock" the free change benefits for both bookings that can be modified up to two times:  Change flight dates/times up 14 days before or after original travel date; and change to nearby airport if multiple airports serve the destination/origin city.

SW Change Airport.png

SW Change Airport 2.png

bec102896
Aviator A

It’s still strange to me that if your fine with the new flight but later the price goes down you can’t reprice without calling because of the free change message 

maybe they can add a accept change button but still allow the free change later if needed. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

I noticed this too for one of my flights, and there doesn't seem to be a time limit to make the free change(s), whereas before you had to do it in 72 hours (on average) then the option went away. 

--Jessica