Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Professional TV Camera Batteries over 100WH

KCJ
Explorer C

There is a discussion on a private FB group concerning media professionals flying with 2 Lithium batteries over 101WH but less than 160WH in carry-ons and the Southwest Airlines policy for this situation. It is already understood that lithium batteries under 100WH are allowed if in a carry-on.

Here is the section of the FAA's *'Batteries Carried by Airline Passengers
Frequently Asked Questions' concerning larger lithium batteries:

"With airline approval, devices can contain larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery), but spares of this size are limited to two batteries in carry-on baggage only. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment."

Question: How does one go about getting the "airline approval" described above with regard to Southwest Airlines? I have already called Baggage - General Questions1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) and was told the airline follows TSA guidelines. I agree but the guidelines do state "with aiirline approval".  

As a professional cameraman, flying with large camera batteries is a common occurance but I want to avoid any problems given the FAA guidelines now state that airline approval is required.

*Reference: 
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/med...