Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Requesting cash refund instead of vouchers?

Ron072561
Explorer C

My wife and I were stuck for more than 24 hours due to cancellations at Tampa and Orlando on Saturday/Sunday. When our flight from Tampa was canceled, we were flown over to Orlando to catch a red-eye there to our destination. But the red-eye was also canceled. We were then booked on a third flight that was delayed for more than 9 hours before we finally got airborne after 7 Sunday night, more than 25 hours after we arrived at the Tampa airport.

Southwest issued us two vouchers worth $200 each. However, we do not fly frequently and may not get to use them before they expire (Southwest's performance during this ordeal also makes us a little reluctant to use this airline again but that's another story).

At what phone number or to what email address should I address a request for cash in lieu of the vouchers? Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Requesting cash refund instead of vouchers?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Ron072561 wrote:

My wife and I were stuck for more than 24 hours due to cancellations at Tampa and Orlando on Saturday/Sunday.

Southwest issued us two vouchers worth $200 each. However, we do not fly frequently and may not get to use them before they expire (Southwest's performance during this ordeal also makes us a little reluctant to use this airline again but that's another story).

At what phone number or to what email address should I address a request for cash in lieu of the vouchers? Thanks.

All we fellow passengers have access to is the Contact Southwest Customer Service information in the link or down at the bottom of the page.

You might also try sending a letter in this case where you have the vouchers in-hand but would like something else. I'd say that since you did eventually get to the destination by flying the airline isn't likely to offer a full refund, that would only apply if the flight was canceled and then you didn't fly.

Otherwise although the vouchers are technically not transferable you can use them to book anyone else you know who may be flying Southwest and they can reimburse you or give you an offsetting gift. (Under the terms you can book someone else with the voucher, you just can't transfer the voucher.)

I hope this helps, sorry to hear about your ordeal. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.