Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with CPAP machine

Saniaamcdaniel
Explorer C

Hi, I have to travel with my CPAP machine. My flight is on December 24th 2023. Will this qualify me for pre-boarding? If so, who do I need to talk to. 

thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine

efeuer777
Explorer A

No pre-board but it will allow you an extra piece of carry-on luggage if needed. We travel with my husband’s CPAP all the time. There are a lot of travelers who carry one so be sure and tag yours so you pick up the right one when leaving the plane.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@efeuer777 wrote:

No pre-board but it will allow you an extra piece of carry-on luggage if needed. We travel with my husband’s CPAP all the time. There are a lot of travelers who carry one so be sure and tag yours so you pick up the right one when leaving the plane.

That just gave me the heebie-jeebies! Do not want to think about getting to the destination and opening up the package and its someone else's.

Actually put a luggage tag on everything including all carry-ons.

Although rare, we do hear on this community about people grabbing the wrong carry-on luggage once in a while. Having your contact info right on that luggage including any medical equipment would really help if there is an inadvertent mix-up.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

sdover1966
Explorer C

Does the machine need to be carried in its original bag or can it be placed inside my carry-on bag? Will there be a time I will need to remove it for scanning or xray? 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sdover1966 wrote:

Does the machine need to be carried in its original bag or can it be placed inside my carry-on bag? Will there be a time I will need to remove it for scanning or xray? 

If you carry it in its own original case you can bring it as an extra item - if it fits in your carry-on that's fine too, but you won't count it as a third item though.

I'm not 100% about the TSA, with PreCheck they don't need you to take it out and many airports with the new scanners also won't. Some sites may if they have the older scanners and non-PreCheck.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.