Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Will I be able to get a full refund?

kvanhoy11
Explorer C

If I book a flight using unused Travel Funds and then need to cancel the flight all together will I be able to recieve a full refund back onto my credit card. I don't want the refund back onto travel funds. Unused travel funds have a ton of limitations so being able to just receive the payment back would be ideal. 

The previous flight I booked was business select 

The flight I am booking is business select

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Will I be able to get a full refund?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@kvanhoy11 wrote:

If I book a flight using unused Travel Funds and then need to cancel the flight all together will I be able to recieve a full refund back onto my credit card. I don't want the refund back onto travel funds. Unused travel funds have a ton of limitations so being able to just receive the payment back would be ideal. 

The previous flight I booked was business select 

The flight I am booking is business select

Travel funds are usually refunded to travel funds. Booking a Business Select flight from travel funds doesn't convert non-refundable funds into refundable.

But it sounds like your case may be that you originally purchased a Business Select and refunded it into travel funds, booked (or are booking) a new Business Select flight, and now want to cancel or just in case of cancelation what would happen - the travel funds may be refundable in some scenarios - you should review the terms in the cancelation email that you received when you first cancled the original Business Select flight if it notes the travel funds as refundable or not.

Just FYI, the cleanest process would be when offered the opportunity for refund to credit card or travel funds, choose credit card and re-purchase as desired from scratch.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Will I be able to get a full refund?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

If you booked your original Business Select ticket prior to October 10, 2018, you can receive a full refund only if you've never made any changes to your itinerary. If you have, and now have Travel Funds from that ticket, unfortunately they are no longer refundable.

If you booked your original Business Select ticket after October 10, 2018, you can receive a full refund by cancelling the ticket online and choosing the refund to original form of payment option. If you choose travel funds, and/or apply those to a new ticket that is ultimately cancelled, you will need to contact Customer Relations to request the refund.

If you combine any of the funds from your Business Select ticket with any funds from any non-refundable fare, only the Business Select funds remain refundable.

As mentioned earlier, it's always best to fully refund any refundable fare (not convert to travel funds).