Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

travel funds expiration date

nancyg
Explorer C

In January 2020 I  booked flights for myself and my husband, using travel funds that expire in June 2020, but also charging the remainder to my credit card .

If I cancel the flights, will the entire amount expire in June 2020, or will the credit card portion be valid until January 2021?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: travel funds expiration date

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

If I understand your situation correctly then everything will have the earliest expiration date so June 2020.

Customer | Home airport DCA

bec102896
Aviator A

Your reservations funds will expire based on the expiration date of the oldest travel fund applied to the reservation. So in this case your funds would expire in June 2020. 

Shaniem
Explorer B

Just so you know.. they will only allow you to use a % of your travel funds per flight. they are ripping people off!!  Customer service is not telling people this.

bec102896
Aviator A

@Shaniem 

Are you trying to use more than 1 travel fund to buy a ticket? If so you can only apply 2 different travel funds to a booking then the rest would have to be paid by a credit/debit card. 

Shaniem
Explorer B

No.. one travel fund per ticket but can only use a percentage of funds so have to keep flying to use the funds before January  sooo wrong!!!!!  I have $1000 in travel funds I booked new trip can only use $300 of funds for flight. ROBBERY!!!

bec102896
Aviator A

@Shaniem 

We're there multiple people on your reservation that you changed/cancelled?  

Shaniem
Explorer B

2 of us had to cancel due to C Virus they said we'd be fully refunded in travel funds.. we were.

When I rebooked for us both. we can only use a percentage of our travel funds for next flight. Said the percentage is based on the amount of new flight. so wrong

bec102896
Aviator A

@Shaniem 

I've never heard of that before. Were you trying to book on the phone or on the website/app?

I do know that since there are 2 of you on the reservation that you cancelled half of the money would be usable for you and half for the other traveler and all travel must be complete by the expiration date which would be 1 year from huge date you booked the flight that you cancelled. 

Shaniem
Explorer B

OK so customer service is telling me now that travel funds are used dollar for dollar on tickets  per person.  Customer service yesterday said all funds could be used on southwest vacation. THEY were wrong that's where % came in.  THEY NEED COMPETENT PEOPLE!! BUT I HAD TO BE NASTY TO GET FULL DETAILS.. THANK YOU FOR TUNING IN AND HELPING ME.