Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Assigned seat

lslfpd9214
Explorer C

I do agree with you!  I think it would be more efficient, cost-effective, and more comfortable for the passengers if they had assigned seating! Having an assigned seat where you board the plane from the back to the front eliminates people trying to fight the aisle and overhead space.  Overall, it makes sense to be more efficient, thus reducing passenger and crew stress, which is never a lousy business plan! 

So if anyone can logically explain why my thoughts are either incorrect or how it would cost the company x amount of dollars to implement, please do so!  Justification with facts and figures is a surefire way to prove that one method is better than the other; unfortunately, I don't think SW would approve for me to fly around the world on their airline and competitors to prove my hypothesis!  But in case someone is reading this who has any pull in this area.....I am available for the position!

dfwskier
Aviator A

The airline has 48 years experience that proves   it's boarding process is m ore efficient than the airlines that provide assigned seating:

1) It gets peo  ple on the plane faster

2) That allows SW to fly more flights/day/plane than the legacy airlines

3) That provides more revenue and profit

4) Which allows  SW t o keep fares low.

Back in the day when SW was flying smaller planes ,737-300s, it was able to turn a flight

around in 20 minutes. That means getting everyone off the arriving flight and everyone on the departing flight -- in 20 minutes.  That would not be possible with assigned seating.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Here's what a SW flight attendant  reported 14 years ago  on another blog

"We still do them.... - 20 minute turns

Last Friday night I worked:

DAL-HOU 3:00pm-4:00pm
HOU-HRL 4:20pm-5:20pm
HRL-HOU 5:40pm-6:40pm
HOU-DAL 7:00pm-7:55pm
DAL-LBB 8:20pm-9:25pm

We stayed on time and our actual turn times were: 16mins, 20mins, 19mins, and 23mins. "