Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-boarding remains out of control

flyerdmc
Explorer C

According to SWA policy, "If a Customer with a disability simply needs a little extra time to board, we will permit the Customer to board before Family Boarding, between the “A” and “B” groups."

This policy has not been followed at all as far as I can tell. I certainly have sympathy for those that have special accommodations for health or other challenges. However, SWA is the only airline I'm aware of where gate-agents seat pre-boards ahead of their priority, loyalty program, or extra-paying customers, in front of all the A1-A15's. This seems contrary to their own policy. And, it seems, a disproportionate number of passengers are taking advantage of this loophole.

I commend SWA for their accommodation of those with disabilities, however, since valid need-based pre-boards do not seem to be appropriately verified, I have decided to leave this craziness in favor of other airlines. I will use my accumulated points on SWA to depletion when it's convenient, but otherwise I've shifted my business to other airlines who actually follow their stated boarding procedures.

I consider jetblue to have better equipment, better seating options, respect for loyal customers in their boarding procedures, unlimited inflight wifi and messaging, and an overall better and much less stressful experience where I and my traveling companions can sit in comfort...TOGETHER.

Thank you SWA for showing me how not to treat your loyal customers.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@flyerdmc Without assigned seats there is no way to board special customers like yourself first, before preboarding.  There is also no legal way to verify the need to preboard.  The XT designation for extra time is used, I was just on a flight last week when people boarded in that position.  Enjoy the other airlines until they also do something you hate.

--TheMiddleSeat

kDub2022
Explorer B

I have posted on this thread and have followed the thread for awhile and you are the first person to offer a real solution.  I have also began to book flights on other airlines due to people obviously taking advantage of the situation - and I am not referring to the people who actually need to pre-board for legitimate reasons.

if you can’t find another airline for your route you can always pay a few bucks extra to board in 1-15 which puts you in front of the A-Listers.  I have pre-tsa and have rarely seen the a-list security line faster than pre-tsa.  The only real advantage of Southwest I see is greater flexibility with last minute flight changes.  The a-list perks seem pretty limited.  I also don’t drink so I give away the limited drink coupons they send me as random acts of kindness in flight.