Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A List Failure

smithgm01
Explorer C

34 one way tickets since July alone and still missed the A-list by 1 round trip, yet another year I will not qualify for the A-list the next year. Received a email from Southwest on January 29th that if you fly 3 round trip or 6 one way flights and qualify for A-List for 2018.

Don't get to excited, if you already have flights booked or use your points, these flights do not qualify. They ask you to cancel any flights that have already been booked, more money in the airline's pocket, since the ticket will be at an increased fare. Your company will also not be happy to approve that additional cost.

This has happened in 2017 and now 2018.

2 of the reservations I have been on have been delayed do to engine issues. The first reservation we were put on three different planes before we found one without engine issues.

Southwest is always ready to give you LOV certifications. However this does not change the fact you were to be somewhere at a given time, that was missed.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: A List Failure

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sorry you failed to qualify. It only takes 25 one-way paid flights to qualify for A-List. Sounds like you are including flights booked with points? Unfortunately those do not qualify. Many people who find themselves very close near the end of the year will do what is called a segment run, taking short cheap trips just to qualify. You might want to consider that, along with making sure you completely understand the terms and conditions, if you want to try for status again. Good luck!

Re: A List Failure

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Sorry you failed to qualify. It only takes 25 one-way paid flights to qualify for A-List. Sounds like you are including flights booked with points? Unfortunately those do not qualify. Many people who find themselves very close near the end of the year will do what is called a segment run, taking short cheap trips just to qualify. You might want to consider that, along with making sure you completely understand the terms and conditions, if you want to try for status again. Good luck!

For instance if you are in Chicago it is quite easy and cheap to get to MSP and come right back.

Also I would look at some of those trips where you used points and choose one to purchase instead, or if you are looking to qualify on points instead of flights then consider a strategic upgrade of a flight to BS for 12x points if you'd be purchasing a high-cost WGA fare sometime during the year.

Edit: Also MSP has a few restaurants and Surdyk's wine bar, so pleasant and not crowded to wait. Also easy light rail trip to the Mall, no sales tax on clothing.

CVG is a new route with cheap flights for me, St. Louis also cheap and frequent although not as pleasant in the terminal. If you were east coast maybe BWI and make a trip to O'Brycki's in the airport.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.