Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Switching Question

mcastino78
Explorer C

So I currently have "Mike" as my companion and am traveling with him as my companion to San Diego on Feb 4. I plan on switching my Companion after this flight to my wife "Sherry" for travel on March 10 florida. 

Can I book the travel to Florida in March and add Mike as a companion, then after the San Diego trip cancel Mike's companion pass travel for Florida, switch my Companion to my wife, then re-add her as a companion to my Florida ticket?

Obviously what I am trying to avoid is the flight becoming sold out before being able to switch to my wife as a companion since the window between Feb 4 and March 10 is tight. Is this allowable?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Companion Pass Switching Question

franktravel
Aviator B

That's how I would do it.  You may not need to cancel that companion flight.  Just call on the phone  and change the name to your wife's. 

Good luck. 

KimVanderKley
Frequent Flyer C

Hi @mcastino78

i have done this several times with a great outcomes ..however Be prepared to resource ($ or points) if the flight gets sold out  and Switch does not go well so some risk...I am missing how you are doing the March fl resversatiion... if points ...best you get them right back and holds the seat.. call after feb and switch name ..real time thank you swa... if another seat is open book and cancel point seat. .. if sold out then call agent will attempt to delete point seat and get comp. seat there is the risk or do not take the risk and burn the points. I have checked on several days the loads change a bunch.  Good but tricky ....ps I luv to keep my points above 40k. For flex...works well unless my college students use the points...smile

Have fun feb and march

@16fseataFFBK

mcastino78
Explorer C

I’ll be paying for my ticket in $. So will i be able to cancel my companions flight and rebook my new companion after the name switch? You are saying the risk is that I’m not able to add the new companion and i have to cancel? I think i understand