Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards Point Redemption

mmontaz
New Arrival

Did Southwest remove gift cards from their Rapid Rewards redemption? They are no longer showing on the "More Rewards" site.  When I do find one, I click on it and it states that item is no longer available.

Point redemption for Gift Cards are a big reason I have been so loyal to Southwest, and would be a big reason for me to go elsewhere.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Rapid Rewards Point Redemption

SWDigits
Rising Star
That is strange, it is not showing any gift cards available for me either. You may want to try again tomorrow or send a note to Southwest to inquire. The option is still prominently displayed as an option on the site so I am guessing there is a technical issue.

Southwest customer | Home airport DCA | Community Chamption

mmontaz
New Arrival
Solution

Update 5/10: Southwest has since added a notice when you visit their More Rewards site that GC's are temporarily unavailable.  They advise to check back on 5/14. Hope they figure it out... I've already converted to using my Marriott credit card in the meantime.  Marriott allows you to redeem points for Amazon.com gift cards (hint hint Southwest).

dfwskier
Rising Star

I've said this here before, but apparently not on this thread --- more rewards is not administered by Southwest. It is a different company that maks money by  discounting the value of points used for gift card purchases --

ie -- a $200 fare on Southwest will cost you less points than a $200 gift card bought thru more rewards. 

chgoflyer
Top Contributor
Solution

@dfwskier wrote:

I've said this here before, but apparently not on this thread --- more rewards is not administered by Southwest. It is a different company that maks money by  discounting the value of points used for gift card purchases --

ie -- a $200 fare on Southwest will cost you less points than a $200 gift card bought thru more rewards. 

@dfwskier wrote:

The best redemption value for Rapid Rewards points should always be Southwest WGA fares. Currently these are priced at 78 points per $1.

Gift cards bought through More Rewards have been relatively consistently priced at 100 points per $1 (for $50/$100 cards). It will be interesting to see if that remains the case once they become available again.

Southwest has devalued Rapid Rewards points multiple times since 2011, when the program debuted and WGA fares cost 60/$1. If future devaluations continue to reduce WGA fare redemption value, gift card purchases may become a more attractive option.