Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

"Stolen" Rapid Rewards Miles.

acauth1
Explorer C

I've been Southwest Airlines customer since 1971.  I don't fly everyday, nor am I a frequent flier.  But when I fly an Airline I like the little perks of being one of their clients and getting a little "special" service for being a repeat client.

I was surprised and devastated that, without prior warning, and no contact from Southwest, my rewards miles were changed from almost 15,000 miles to "0" because I had not accrued any for two ears.  They send monthly update s about my mileage points, but never once indicated, nor implied that I should use them or lose them, or at least purchase a few more to keep them active.  I attempted a few months ago to change my Reliant Energy account to the one that gives miles, but was told my Rapid Rewards number was "Invalid", I was reading it directly off of Southwest’s site.  (Not Southwest's fault, that).  However, I was attempting to accrue miles.  Nonetheless, the real kicker is that there are monthly statements sent out, but no where mentions losing miles after two years.  Vet unfair practice, and extremely poor customer service.  Speaking of which, when I spoke with a Rewards customer service supervisor, she wasn't rude, just 'Curt" and adamant that she was not going to do anything about it and I should have gone down their website rabbit hole to locate terms of service.  Never, was I sent the “Warning” letter. Actually, they should have had the common curiously to advise me in at least the last monthly update.  October's update showed my account balance with no warning and November’s showed "0" without explanation.  The reward's weren't much, just enough that we saved and put aside.  It was just enough for an emergency flight Charlotte or New Orleans in case of a family emergency, death or other last minute event.  As a "senior", I can't afford to lose any kind of "benefits" of customer loyalty.  All I can say is shame on your customer service Gary Kelly, Your "Greeting" Statement makes the comment "—so save up

your Rapid Rewards points!"  How can we, if you're going to take them away without prior warning.  Had I known last month, I would have bought a few dollars worth to keep them active and alive.  As a long time client, I feel extremely cheated and was treated like a deadbeat by customer service.  Gary, in all the years I have flown with you through hard times and good, pretzels and honey roasted peanuts.  I am sad to say, you have lost a long time, and loyal customer.

Robert More

11/02/2018

2 REPLIES 2

Re: "Stolen" Rapid Rewards Miles.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I'm sorry to hear about this Robert. 

As another member of this community (@dfwskier) will often point out, the best approach in this situation may be to write the airline directly with a letter to Gary Kelly as you have mentioned him in your posting, but he most likely won't see this particular post as this is mainly a customer to customer forum.

You could also use the email function on the next page, but I agree with @dfwskier that sometimes a letter would be best, especially to mention your use of the company since 1971 to see if a special case can be made.

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

We've seen a few similar posts on this community, and haven't heard of anyone receiving a special exemption from the two-year period for qualifying activity, but good luck to you.

You may have a case only if you can show that the activity from Reliant or some other third-party (rental car companies for instance) was supposed to have posted, but didn't, over the past six months.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: "Stolen" Rapid Rewards Miles.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

As far as I know, the only case for exemption is if you've had point-earning activity in the last 6 months that wasn't credited to your Rapid Rewards account, and can provide proof.

Otherwise, unfortunately (and despite advertising that, "points don't expire,") points do expire after two years without point earning activity.

These days it's very important to read and fully understand all the small print.