Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

TQP and segments on roundtrip flights spanning two calendar years

dlcpe33
Explorer C

I'll have 24 one way flight segments in November.  In December I have a roundtrip flight with a departure in 12/2023 and a return in 1/2024. 

Will the segments count 1 for 2023 and 1 for 2024 (for A list) or will both flight segments count towards 2024 (for A list status)? 

I ask because SWA's website says points don't post until after completing a roundtrip.  Also, will all the TQP points count for 2024 or will there be an allocation? 

I've never booked roundtrip before, but time my wife booked the flights and she booked roundtrip. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: TQP and segments on roundtrip flights spanning two calendar years

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@dlcpe33 wrote:

I'll have 24 one way flight segments in November.  In December I have a roundtrip flight with a departure in 12/2023 and a return in 1/2024. 

Will the segments count 1 for 2023 and 1 for 2024 (for A list) or will both flight segments count towards 2024 (for A list status)? 

I ask because SWA's website says points don't post until after completing a roundtrip.  Also, will all the TQP points count for 2024 or will there be an allocation? 

I've never booked roundtrip before, but time my wife booked the flights and she booked roundtrip. 

I think it does count for A-list in 2023 (and then for 2024) however it won't be added to your qualification until you complete the whole trip.

End of Year - Tier Qualifying Points (southwest.com)

See the description below that a flight in 2023 counts in 2023, but won't be added to your TQP until the whole trip is complete.

DancingDavidE_0-1699340335590.png

Anyway - for best results and also to get A-list earlier - I recommend you call Southwest to split this reservation into separate one-way itineraries. I think they can do this if you call. 

What if you had to cancel that return trip for some reason?! You'd be in A-limbo instead of the A-list.

The other option would be if you can squeeze in a points run if you have any cheap destinations and a free Saturday before this other upcoming trip, do a day visit somewhere close and lock it up.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Bill5303
Explorer A

In order to get 1,500 TQPs from your SWA Visa credit card purchases, does the $10,000 in credit card purchases have to all occur in the same billing cycle, or is it cumulative? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

it is cumulative

dlcpe33
Explorer C

Thanks, that was a great idea!  I called in and the SWA agent let me split it into two one-way reservations on the same flights, and because the fare since decreased, we all got travel credits.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dlcpe33 wrote:

Thanks, that was a great idea!  I called in and the SWA agent let me split it into two one-way reservations on the same flights, and because the fare since decreased, we all got travel credits.  

That's my favorite kind, even better!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.