Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Application Question

Canerdian
Explorer B

I was recently filling out an application and under the supplemental questions, it asked if I had ever worked “in a SASS type environment” without any further context or clarification as to what exactly they were asking. That’s a fairly initialism that can mean a ton of different things in different contexts - is this Southwest internal jargon? It is technology specific? Google was absolutely no help on trying to figure out what Southwest is wanting to know here. 

So, Southwest insiders… What the heck is it? 

And if you’re in HR and responsible for these supplemental questions, please don’t assume external applicants know what they are, and provide

definitions for initialisms - if people don’t know what you’re asking, you’re not going to get useful answers on those questions. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Application Question

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you don't know what SASS is, you can safely answer no to that question.

Canerdian
Explorer B

The question is more to the point of *which* usage or definition of SASS it’s asking about, as there are many, some of which I do actually have experience with and might be relevant, or I may have experience of that but under a different name. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

It routinely gets listed as "SaaS" which is an abbreviation for "Software as a Service".

Canerdian
Explorer B

That is but one of the many possible meanings of it… although after checking with someone in recruiting, that did turn out to be the correct interpretation of it, and they’re going to fix it, probably an autocorrect drive-by that someone missed. 

With Southwest, it could just as easily have referred to the sassy preflight safety briefings some of the amazing flight attendants give! 

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@Canerdian  What position did you apply for? 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Canerdian
Explorer B

Senior Tech Consultant role. 

Status update: Got an offer! Now to nail down the details! 

adrienneb
Employee
Employee
Solution

So excited for you, @Canerdian! And I'm so glad you were able to work with Lucas throughout the process, too. We were rooting for you! 💙❤️💛

Canerdian
Explorer B

I was hoping I would be able to somehow let you know what the outcome was! Now we wait for the process to… process. 

thanks for your role in this!