Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Personal item strictness

Flame
Explorer C

Hello all! 

In a few days, I will be taking a Boeing 737-700 on a southwest flight. I saw that the maximum length of a personal item is 16.25 inches. My personal item (backpack) is about 19 inches long. I wanted to ask how strictly they enforce the 16.25 inches policy, because I really need to take this item, and I already have used my 1 carryon and I don’t want to check a bag.  Could someone let me know? I’m also flexible, like I can hold it on my lap if need be. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Personal item strictness

floridaguy
Aviator C

Whether you carry it on your lap, suspend it from the ceiling by telepathy or otherwise try and bring it on board, you are OVERSIZED.  

You cannot hold it on you lap anyway during takeoff and landing.

Southwest strictly enforces those rules except at MCO where I am told that they all were spoken to about the dysfunction of not following the policies.

Check that bag.  

Flame
Explorer C

What are the measurements for a Boeing 737-700 plane for a personal item?

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

As you are aware, personal items need to fit under the seat in front of you, with the set dimensions of 16.25" x 13.5" x 8".  You will not be allowed to simply hold in your lap, as all items of this size must be stowed/secured for take-off and landing.

I suspect it won't be questioned.  But, once you have it packed, will it squish down to 16"?  If so, you'll be fine.  Maybe make this your packing goal.  If you can squish it into the personal item sizer, then it will be able to squish under the seat.

Have a enjoyable flight!!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tappingmom1 wrote:

As you are aware, personal items need to fit under the seat in front of you, with the set dimensions of 16.25" x 13.5" x 8".  You will not be allowed to simply hold in your lap, as all items of this size must be stowed/secured for take-off and landing.

I suspect it won't be questioned.  But, once you have it packed, will it squish down to 16"?  If so, you'll be fine.  Maybe make this your packing goal.  If you can squish it into the personal item sizer, then it will be able to squish under the seat.

Have a enjoyable flight!!

This should be fine. You can also help yourself out by not sitting in the very front of the plane where the seats (and overhead bins) are smaller. 

Aisle seats also have a little less room underneath the seat in front of you so try it first before you commit to a seat.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.