Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel with Fish

anais
Explorer C

Is there NO WAY I can bring my fish on flight with me? I searched it up on TSA.gov and it says I’m allowed to carry my fish with me in a clear bag but I called and a lady said that tule doesn’t apply with SWA?? I’m moving out of state. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Travel with Fish

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Surprised the heck outta me, but TSA DOES allow one to bring live fish on board -- and the 3.4 oz liquid max DOES NOT apply.  Apparently, if the fish is alive and swimming in the liquid, then TSA knows the liquid is not an explosive -- or the fish would be dead.

https://travelinglight.com/can-you-bring-fish-on-a-plane/

Since it is a carry on, SW would never know you are carrying a live fish. If it gets by TSA, you would be safe.

Proviso, since, I presume, this situation is something that TSA airport people would not see every day, I have to think there is some risk that the local TSA people would say "not allowed- too much liquid" even though TSA does apparently allow it. I guess if I were you, I would visit your local airport before you travel   to discuss the matter

Re: Travel with Fish

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I think fish are covered under "live seafood:

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/special-baggage-sports-equipment

Seafood and perishable items

Can I travel with seafood or other frozen/perishable food items?

Wow - you’re making us hungry. Seafood (including fresh seafood, shrimp, fish of all kinds, live lobsters, live pinchy-pinchy, and live crawfish), meat, fowl, game, and other perishable foods must be suitably packed in leak-proof containers (Styrofoam® or other plastic foam containers are not acceptable for frozen/unfrozen perishable food). Items must be wrapped in heavy plastic, and bags must be securely sealed to prevent leakage (except when used for live seafood shipments where air flow is required). Styrofoam® (or other plastic foam) inserts should be used between the plastic bag and the inner wall of the carton.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.