Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Hotels RR when paying for others?

CNoll
Explorer C

In 2017 i reserved AND paid for hotel rooms for others that i booked thru SW just for the bonus points.   The points did go into my account.  Trying to do same thing this year but I am told by SW Customer Service that only the guest staying in the room is eligible to receive the points.  Anyone else hear the same?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Southwest Hotels RR when paying for others?

bec102896
Aviator A

Most hotel and airline programs I know work like this the guest that owns that loyalty account must be staying in the room to get the credit (points or miles or even elite status for those who have that) they do this because otherwise 1 family member would create an account and rack up the benefits. It's just like when you buy a flight only the person who flies gets the points even if you pay for someone else to fly.

So maybe back in the day it worked but may not work now. Of course they can always create a rapid rewards account and earn points then they could use the points on you directly from there account or you can transfer them to your account for a fee. 

Hope this helps

Blake

Re: Southwest Hotels RR when paying for others?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@CNoll wrote:

In 2017 i reserved AND paid for hotel rooms for others that i booked thru SW just for the bonus points.   The points did go into my account.  Trying to do same thing this year but I am told by SW Customer Service that only the guest staying in the room is eligible to receive the points.  Anyone else hear the same?

Hello.

I think the rule is that the person who makes the reservation AND checks in at the hotel gets the points. 

So if you reserve 4 rooms  for a single stay for your party, and pay for 4 rooms, and you check in at the hotel , then you'd get all points tied to that  single reservation for 4 rooms.

I don't think you can earn points  for a stay, where someone other than you checks in. 

Now there is one point of clarification. There are RR points issued by SW for hotel stays, and I think what I said above applies to these points. Some hotels issue their own RR points. I don't know what happens if someone reserves a room thru the hotel specific site, and then gives the hotel someone else's RR # .