Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry on baggage

Ahodges2018
Explorer C

My carryon looks pretty large. I measured it and it is 24 inches tall, but 25 inches if I include the wheels. Do i need to include the wheels in the measurement?

thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Carry on baggage

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

While the gate agent has the option and full discretion to enforce the rule where the max is 24 inches high, it’s very likely you will be allowed to carry it aboard without any question. That said, it has to be able to fit in the overhead bin. SW’s site states:

A friendly reminder: If your carryon does not fit the dimensions above, we will be forced to check it at the gate.”

So, worst case, it will be gate checked and you will have to pick it up at baggage claim. But again, I believe it’s unlikely that will have to happen. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Re: Carry on baggage

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ahodges2018 wrote:

My carryon looks pretty large. I measured it and it is 24 inches tall, but 25 inches if I include the wheels. Do i need to include the wheels in the measurement?

thank you!

Search the forum for the details as I don't have the link memorized, but the wheels can be excluded based on posts that we've seen on the community previously.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.